Rio Platano Biosphere Reserve in Honduras


Honduras has several national parks and natural reserves, almost in every region in Honduras there is a natural reserve nearby. However, one of the most famous natural reserves in Honduras is the Rio Platano Biosphere Reserve, which is located in the North-East region of Honduras, between the departments of Gracias a Dios, Colon and Olancho, but mainly in La Mosquitia region in Gracias a Dios. The biosphere runs along the Rio Platano basin, from a town in the department of Olancho called San Esteban and goes all the way to the Caribbean Sea in La Mosquitia region.


The Rio Platano Biosphere Reserve is about 5350 Km2, all of it is preserved land. If you are looking to visit and experience nature and unexplored regions, this is a place to go, definitely. You must know that 25% of the reserve is mostly a coastal region covered with mangrove swamps, and the remaining 75% is a mountainous region. The highest mountain is Morrañanga Peak which is about 5000 feet high. The reserve is a huge rain forest with hundreds of endangered species and thousands of tropical plants.

This reserve was declared by UNESCO as a World Heritage site since 1982, and it is somehow very similar to the Amazon region in Brazil, not as big as the Amazon region but the biodiversity and tropical wildlife is very diverse. A curious fact to know is that the Rio Platano Biosphere has more than 3 times the amount of species by hectare compared to the Amazon region, this is something that can give you an idea of how rich in biodiversity this region in Honduras really is. This is just amazing, isn´t it?


The reserve is also populated by indigenous people, about 2000 people live in this region, most of them are from some native cultures like Miskitos, Pech and Garifunas. Most of them live along the Platano River, mainly in the north area of the reserve.

One thing about the reserve that many people don´t know is that there are several archaeological sites in there, including some Mayan ruins. They are spread all over the reserve. There is algo a mythological site called Ciudad Blanca, or White City, it is like a lost city in the middle of the jungle. No one really knows for sure if this White City really exists, it´s like a myth, very similar to the famous city of Atlantis. Some people say that many explorers have lost in the jungle looking for this White City and never came back. Scary, isn´t it?.

We may not know much about this White City, but we do know that the Rio Platano Biosphere is a very beautiful reserve, it´s an ideal place to visit for people looking to have a real experience with mother nature. You really don´t need to go all the way to Brazil to the Amazon region in order to experience what is like to be in the middle of a real jungle, everything you can ever imagine about a tropical jungle you will definitely find it in this reserve.


One good piece of advice if you ever go to visit this reserve: please don´t go alone by yourself or you will get lost in the middle of the jungle. You need to go with a guide or a group of experts who are familiar with this particular region. You don´t want to get lost here, trust me. Not even Indiana Jones could survive by himself if lost here.

1 comment:

  1. If you want to see what the Rio Platano is really like watch our new short documentary. This is the only film ever done on the Rio Platano Biosphere Reserve.Paradise in Peril Film Description

    The Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve, Honduras – home to the highest level of tropical biodiversity in Central America, homeland of the Pech and Miskito Indians, and keeper of hundreds of unexplored archeological sites – is in danger. Non-indians are invading the Reserve from all sides, poaching endangered wildlife and fish, slashing and burning ancient forests to sow pastures, and forcing indigenous inhabitants off their ancestral lands. Paradise in Peril follows an expedition organized to document the destruction of this UNESCO World Heritage Site and collect testimony from the native peoples who rely on the Río Plátano for survival. Fewer than 400 individuals have ever completed this strenuous expedition from the rivers headwaters to the Miskito coast of Honduras.
    Please go to http://vimeo.com/skyshipfilms/paradise-in-peril to see this short documentary. Note: this film was shot in High Definition and should be watched on a computer with a high speed connection for best results. You may also see a short clip on You Tube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF0-TbOXjsI
    Visit our Facebook page Friends of Río Plátano Biosphere Reserve

    ReplyDelete